Thursday 27 August 2015

Project Life: Week 32

It’s definitely time for another update so here’s Week 32 – August 3rd – 9th.  It was a busy week with lots happening with the new art studio.FULL_1

On Monday Krystal came around with her laptop so that I could help her with her Professional Portfolio.  It was really nice to be able to spend some time with her and we did quite a few things that day including baking some delicious new cookies… chocolate chippie with a touch of salt!  It’s basically just making a traditional chocolate chippie cookie and then grinding some salt on just before you put them in the oven.  I loved the salty-sweet thing although Mike wasn’t quite so fussed on them.

Krystal and I also went to the paint shop to pick up some sample colours for the art studio.  I’m thinking about making the whole room very neutral so that my artwork stands out… soft greys seem to be top of the list right now.

Mike was really thankful for the art studio this week too because he ended up with a snapped fan belt coming home from work the other night and he just put the front of the car into the art studio and used all the lights so that he could see what he was doing.  It worked a treat because within about 10 minutes he had the new fan belt on and the car was running fine!

Here’s a close up of the start of the week:LEFT_1

Mike and I don’t watch a huge amount of TV but we have a few shows that we really like… including My Kitchen Rules.  Mike has been cheering for Steve and Will right from the start so he was super happy when they won the final!

While the final of MKR was on the Big Wednesday draw was also on and this week we got to have a small share of the winnings… but as the saying goes every little bit counts!

I’ve also been working on a big project and had come to a major stumbling block involving the album so I had to do a bit of a re-think and now I’m going for a more Project-Life style album and I fell for this mint colour in a big way.  I think it’s going to be perfect for what I have in mind.

This week we also found the perfect doors for the art studio.  Mike knew that he wanted to replace the roller door with glass doors and he was originally thinking about a ranch slider but it wasn’t really what I wanted and they also turned out to be really expensive.  We saw a couple of second hand ones but they just didn’t seem right either.  Then we came across some French doors that I liked straight away and they were also the perfect size so now I’ve got French doors in my art studio!

Here’s a closer look at the rest of the week:RIGHT_1

Mike spent several nights/days thinking about how he was going to put the doors in and by the time it came to actually install them he had it all worked out.  He even let me help… even though it was only priming some of the wood for around the door.  It turned into a bit of a family affair because Toby ‘helped’ Mike to roll up the old garage door after it had been removed.

Mike didn’t want to just have a plain front wall though so now he’s added some ‘detailing’ so that it will look a bit more interesting.

While all this was going on Mike brought ALL the boxes from the garage upstairs and I went through them all.  Most of these boxes had been sealed shut from when the packers came before I moved to Gisborne so after 18 months in storage it was a bit of a treasure trove to see what was inside each box.  Each box was labelled… but when there are approximately 20 huge boxes labelled ‘Art and Craft misc.’ you really have no idea what’s inside!

We ended up with several boxes of junk and several more of newsprint paper from all the wrappings and it felt quite good to get rid of some of the clutter!  A couple of weeks on and the ‘good stuff’ is still in the lounge because there’s nowhere else to put it for now!

After doing all the unpacking I got busy with another new recipe.  This time it was for peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies and Mike LOVES them!!!  They’re his new favourite and I’ve made the recipe several times now.

On Sunday morning we decided to go out for breakfast which is something we haven’t done for a  long time.  We headed up to Third Place and had a lovely breakfast together… and then real life set in and we did the groceries, the recycling and all sorts of other jobs!

This weekend I also found the perfect clock for my art studio.  I spotted it in a local paint shop and as soon as I saw it I knew that it would be fabulous.  Here’s a closer look:

clock

You can’t tell from the photo but this is actually a good sized clock.  It stands 12 inches high and the clock face is 8 inches wide.  I really like the soft green colouring and the distress look of it… very Tim Holtz style!  Now we’ve just got to finish the art studio so that it has a home to go into.

So that was our week… I hope you’re all having a good week too xxx

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you and dad are having a great week, the art studio is looking great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roxanne... Dad's been working pretty hard on it!

      Delete

Hi :) I really love hearing from you so please leave me a comment... I really appreciate it!
Thanks, Shell xx